Thursday, May 07, 2009

Persepolis

What I liked the most about this book is the honesty. Satrapi is not trying to create an image of any kind . She is neither a conceited person nor someone who is trying make a sorry figure. And thus the story doesn't restrict itself to a mere mockery of the system or a graphical depiction of the war horrors . It goes beyond and tells the story of humanness . The ability to gel humor with tragedy is special, but not very rare. But what is indeed rare is to not focus on any of these aspects greatly! It's the human nature that is the hero.  The way in which people get accustomed to war being a part of their lives is brilliantly picturized ! And I was greatly impressed by the personality of Satrapi which gets unravelled through the entire book. Her intellect, outspokenness, weakness, needs, addictions,  love life , drugs, cigarettes , books and her keenness towards life were all something that I could relate to very easily . I was glad that it wasn't a story of some super hero. Or some smug outsider . Nor of a frustrated insider . It was a story of a person as human as I am, having lived in eventful circumstances and possessing  envious skills of story telling and expression. Another book which has had a really great influence on me and whose effect will , I'm sure, last for a long time to come.

3 comments:

AjAy said...

I must admit here that this is one of the few books that I have not been able to complete!!
Don't know why, but I have tried reading it around 4-5 times!!
Never progressed more than the 40th page!!!
:(

loop said...

Oh! This book was unputdownable for me. Read it in one go :)

Gammafunction said...

I love Persepolis.Especially the clear lucid way in which it brings out the perils of living in a religiously fundamentalist society.