Sunday, December 03, 2006

On a platform to know..




There is so much of knowledge in world and any thing's presence in this world doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't interfere in my ways of living. And I would be into knowing something either because it affects me or because I am interested in knowing it. And this interest would be borne out of a reason. And thus, any endeavor to know anything is because of a reason!Say a piece of knowledge that god exists and takes care of the world. Let god exist, let it take care and do whatever, am i bothered? How does it relate to my thoughts? It affects me only when people go on to add that, if I don't accept god's existence and perform the duties ordained by scriptures I would be in trouble. Now I have to reason out whether it does so. I have to reason it out because, how am i sure that god doesn't exist or that god doesn't affect me? IS it still not a blind faith that god doesnt exist? Any blind faith for that matter is despicable..So now, what are the evidences that god does exist and influences my life? All the evidences that are furnished are either scriptures, some miraculous happenings, experiences of some people in the past who were considered stalwarts in knowledge because they mastered scriptures. Ultimately it is all written in a book which says lots of things. Now are we sure that this book is right? What are the chances that the purpose behind which it was documented has gone out of oblivion? What are the chances that, a book which was written to serve some short term interest of the then living people is mistaken as a scripture? What are the chances that a word written to highlight the goodness of the scripture in terms of a moral book be mistaken as a word of its full validity?Also what are the chances that the book is right? What are the chances that they are beyond our domains of reasoning?I do not know and if all those things are beyond my reason, is there really a way for me? They might give me methods to know things which are beyond my reasoning, but first of all how am i to trust that there is something indeed beyond my reasoning? Even if it is, can I appreciate that? IS not my reason only the tool for my behaviors?

Saturday, June 03, 2006

2 comments:

Shreekrishna said...

The 1st one to comment on your 1st post!

~Twinnu

Sri said...

Hmmm..
A very old controversial notion,
which resurfaces every generation,
but has no single satisfying solution!
A nice debate topic... ;)